Original recipe makes 1 -8 or 9 inch layer cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 -1/3 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flaked coconut (for cake)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided in half
- 2 cups flaked coconut (for frosting)
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
2. Blend the cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed for 4 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of the coconut and the chopped walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes then remove and finish cooling on rack.
4.To Make Frosting: Melt 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine in a skillet. Add the 2 cups flaked coconut and stir constantly over low heat until golden brown. Spread coconut on absorbent paper to cool.
5.Cream the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine with the cream cheese. Add the milk and confectioners’ sugar alternately, beating well. Add the vanilla and stir in 1 3/4 cups of the toasted coconut.
Make Pineapple Filling
Ingredients for Pineapple Filling
Original recipe makes 2 cups filling
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
Instructions for Pineapple Filling
In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg, pineapple and pineapple juice. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened. Stir in butter. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
6. To Assemble Cake: Spread tops of 2 cooled cake layers with half of the filling. Stack them and then frost the sides and top of the cake. Sprinkle Cake with the remaining toasted coconut.
- Tips: You can omit the 2 Tablespoons of margarine or butter to brown the coconut by toasting the coconut in a 350 degree oven for about 10 mins
- Pecans can be substituted for the Walnuts.
- Coconut cream pudding can be substituted for vanilla flavored pudding.
- 1 cup Coconut milk can be substituted for 1 cup water.
Note: I made this cake for my two grandkids for Easter. They loved it. I decorated some of the coconut green (like grass) for the top layer and added chocolate candy eggs, jelly beans, etc.